Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Confounding the Mighty

Anita has done such a marvelous job of blogging and keeping all of our dear family and friends updated on happenings here at the Hurons! I am giving her a much deserved break today and will attempt to relate the latest so that you may share our hearts and view of this side of Heaven…….

What a joy it was to bring Santi home this morning! When Anita and I arrived in the van, he and Daddy were waiting outside of the front doors. We loaded the van with a futon, a nice fluffy feather mattress and piles of pillows. I had a feeling Santi wanted to ride up front instead of lying down and I was right. He relished the outdoors, but began nodding after a while. He was able to lie down and had a good nap for the remainder of the ride home.

He seems to require so little pain medication…..it makes me think of the verse in I Corinthians one….verse 27: “For God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty….that no flesh should glory in his presence.”

Santi is confounding! His strength comes from his weakness….and God has chosen him to remind us (the mighty ones?) that bravery and health and intelligence and…..(you fill in your “good” thing) is really nothing.

I accidentally bumped his halo as we were transferring him to the bed and he quietly said, “Ow”. I felt so terrible. The first thing he wanted to do when we wheeled him into the house was ride around and visit Cilicia in her room. After his visit, we realized we were late on his next med dose. He didn’t want to take any, but we knew we had better keep the schedule……confounding…..

Now for some technical talk: Santi’s halo is attached to his skull with 7 screws….quite large ones. They make me squeamish. This morning just before discharge from the hospital, a doctor had to “torque” them all. This made my husband squeamish. When Santi is seated in the wheelchair, weights are attached to a pulley running from the top of the halo down behind the chair. He is now pulling 6 pounds; we are to add one pound every other day until we reach the maximum pull of 16 pounds! Try sitting up with 3 bags of sugar plus one pound pulling off the top of your head….it hurts…..

Now we must take Santi back to Shands once per week for x-rays of his neck to make sure the traction is adequate….that is, not too little and not too strong. We are very thankful for the wheelchair and that he is actually able to go to church and other selective outings…..we are being especially careful just now to protect him and the rest of us from an apparent flu bug. We will be home-bodies for a while…..

Again, thank you for praying for Santi and for your notes of love. He really loves hearing the blog comments. He is able to be wheeled up to a computer and play with the word processor….he loves to spell the names of our family members. After this week, I will resume his phonics lessons and continue with as much normalcy as we can.

Cilicia is doing well, though moving slowly. Nausea is still a problem and so she is not her usual perky self. Continue to pray for her healing and physical nourishment. She turned down my yummy chicken soup! This reminds me to thank all of you for the meals coming to our house! What a blessing! The cooking staff around here has been delegated to round the clock nursing and so they appreciate the break…..

Are you mighty or weak? Are you base or despised We glory in the Lord!

Thoughts from Ana a.k.a. “Mama”

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello, sweet Huron friends! My mom, Ruth Horton, forwarded me the email about your blogspot. I loved reading about Santi and his updates. Praise the Lord all is going well and the Lord is providing for your needs in caring for him. I was very sad to hear about Cecilia's kidney surgery. You all have been through so much, but I know you continue to trust in our Great God who never gives us more than we can handle in Him. We love an miss you all! If you are ever driving through PA, please let us minister to you!
With love and prayer,
Beth Barnard for all :o)

Tammy said...

Welcome home Santi!
Looking forward to seeing you and Cilicia and all your family again when you're both feeling better.
Love,
The Hutchisons

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Santi is home! The updates have been great - and I enjoy the photos, too :-) (so far, my favorite was Santi with the pipe-cleaner glasses)

Just the other day I was looking back through some of the Homeschool Enrichment photos we did a few years ago and saw the photo of Santi holding the light meter and then coloring the red picture for me - which is a special photo to me because I still have the picture he colored on my shelf.

The halo sounds like a painful process and I'll be praying for grace and that the process will be 110% successful. I can remember when I had braces how painful it was to eat, especially after they would adjust the tension - and teeth would be nothing compared to the spine. Praise God for His enabling grace.

Santi - it sounds like you are learning to be a man!

1 Cor 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.

I wish I was better able to bear up under pain, especially considering how minor the injuries are that I seem to fairly regularly experience when working on projects.


What a blessing that everyone is healthy! Hopefully you can all stay that way.

We're still praying for Cilicia, too... Sounds like the surgery was a tough one!

In Christ,
Christopher

Anonymous said...

Counfounding....Amen to that sister! Santi, you are an encouragement to me little man! God gives special grace to the special one...doesn't he? We were just watching some video clips of you the other night Santi. You are such a bright eyes! The Lord is at work Santi. God bless you absolutely, positively, abundantly!

We love you
eunice (for the Ivies)

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say...... She didn't want your chicken soup?! Oh my Cilicia, we must continue to lift you up in prayer :O)

Love you!

eunice

Anonymous said...

Dear Huron family we love you very much and you all are in our prayers.
Do you know of a good pest control guy? Because we got that flu bug.

The Sanchez Family